Sunday, July 28, 2019

"If God seems far away, who moved?"

After a car accident (or in my case, a tire popping on the highway), your perception on the road changes. You might be more cautious, eyes wide open, swerving to avoid the smallest New England  Pothole or fissure. You might feel extra awake- thankful, blessed, alive. Something shifts in a moment's notice, and suddenly the air is thicker/thinner, life is more precious and the world is different, if only for a little while before the adrenaline wears off.

I think when people say the following phrase, they mean well:

"If God seems far away, WHO MOVED?". It is realistic to human nature and gracious to God, and a little snarky. I believe in an omnipresent God, and can see that people feel a noticeable difference when they've "moved" away from God and are wrapped up in themselves. I offer an alternative explanation though, one that is gentler on us and accounts for  the importance of our mental wellness.

God is always present, everywhere- in the air, the grass and the waters. God is in you and I- we are made in the image of God. You can't escape God, so it is impossible for either God or yourself to move.

Think of a time in your life when you felt godless- negativity creeps in, you may have felt alone and scared, or jaded and numb. Did anything really change about the world, or was the change inside of you? Did you see things through a different lens, a darker and less hopeful one? The way that the world works hasn't changed. If God feels far away, only your perception of your place in the world and your connection to its spiritual side has changed.

I once went to a beautiful garden with my husband. In the garden were metal statues- a man had made many whimsical statues to represent the personalities of his three (now adult) daughters. The garden was set back from the road, and our journey around the garden was quiet. I felt in tune with the spiritual elements of the world. I was sharing in the powerful presence of this man's love for his daughters. In that place, I saw and felt God.

Was God any more in this place than in my home or my place of work? Certainly not- but my perception had shifted because of my peaceful surroundings. It is easy to feel God when you are surrounded by such a proud display of love, not as much when the world is busy and every little thing is calling out for your attention or concern.

Where are, or were, you able to feel God the most? How can we bring about more of those experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment